Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Share This

Tick Paralysis Prevention For Your Pet

1 2 3

 

Introduction

Paralysis ticks (Ixodes holocyclus) are among the most dangerous parasites that can affect your pet. Many dogs and cats are paralyzed each year and unfortunately, many die. We sometimes refer to this paralysis as tick poisoning.

This leaflet is designed to give you a better understanding of paralysis ticks plus provide information on how to protect your pet against them.

How does the tick cause Paralysis?

The ticks sucks blood from the host animal and secretes saliva that contains toxins which are absorbed and cause signs of paralysis and poisoning.

How To Identify The Paralysis Tick

Once on the animal, the tick finds a site of attachment where it becomes deeply and firmly embedded in the skin.

When and adult tick feeds on blood, it increases in size dramatically.

When a tick attaches to the skin, the area becomes red and raised thickening or "crater" may appear. A crater is evidence of a prior tick attachment.

 

 

Adult tick >1-2mm long

 

Engorged adult tick >3mm long

 

1 2 3  

 

​​
 

©2018